Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Thursday, August 10, 2006

That's Wyrd

In ancient times, most folks believed in destiny, often understood as the concept that everything in life was part of a larger pattern. Destiny was often personified as one or more goddesses. One such goddess was called Wyrd. When some unexplainable event happened, people would attribute it to the controlling forces of fate and would say, "That's Wyrd." Eventually the word took on its current meaning of something strange or peculiar.

Here's my contribution to the 5 Weird Things meme that has been floating around Autism Hub lately:

  1. I feel guilty about coloring my hair. Although I like the color, I sometimes feel as if it makes me a collaborator in society's obsession with youth and appearance.
  2. I also feel guilty about killing the innocent little dandelions in my yard.
  3. I don't care if the toilet paper unrolls from the top or the bottom, just as long as it is consistently put on the same way.
  4. I still enjoy reading children's fantasy novels.
  5. Retirement in Florida is for boring conformists. I want to move to a space colony when I'm about, say, 200 years old.

I'm tagging Attila the Mom.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • I still enjoy reading young adult novels. Specifically by Lurlene McDaniel. (They're inspirational books about teens with chronic - often fatal - illness. They make me cry. Hence I own nearly all of her books.)

    By Blogger Jannalou, at 3:53 PM  

  • My favourite t shirt (until it fell apart) had the slogan "I fought the lawn and the lawn won - with a picture of a dandelion".

    By Blogger Alyric, at 8:04 PM  

  • Janna, I recently read "The Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld, which is a young adult novel about a society where the people are taught that their natural appearance is ugly. When they become full-grown, they are required to have surgery to conform to an official standard of beauty. Rebellious teenagers who question the need for the surgery are picked up by the secret police.

    There is definitely a strong parallel to the current social expectation that everyone's brain should be indistinguishable, although I don't think the author had that in mind.

    By Blogger abfh, at 2:47 PM  

  • But it was written that you would write that for twas your destiny :)

    By Blogger Larry Arnold PhD FRSA, at 1:52 PM  

  • Awesome looking blog. Just came here via attila the mom. The world needs more autism blogs as the world needs more educating about autism in all it's aspects. Pippa

    By Blogger fifipoo07, at 7:14 PM  

  • I've refrained from coloring my hair since my mid-20's (got all the different "looks" out of my system).

    Found a gray hair the other day, and am rethinking that decision. LOL

    By Blogger Attila the Mom, at 10:50 PM  

  • I still read young adult novels, I love them. I've been able to read them since I was about seven or eight and now I'm almost 24 and still love them.

    Your retirement plans aren't all that odd. I hate Florida personally, as a place to retire. I'm going for something on Earth but I'm going for northern Michigan or Canada.

    By Blogger unashamed, at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home