In ancient times, most folks believed in destiny, often understood as the concept that everything in life was part of a larger pattern. Destiny was often personified as one or more goddesses. One such goddess was called Wyrd. When some unexplainable event happened, people would attribute it to the controlling forces of fate and would say, "That's Wyrd." Eventually the word took on its current meaning of something strange or peculiar.
Here's my contribution to the 5 Weird Things meme that has been floating around Autism Hub lately:
- I feel guilty about coloring my hair. Although I like the color, I sometimes feel as if it makes me a collaborator in society's obsession with youth and appearance.
- I also feel guilty about killing the innocent little dandelions in my yard.
- I don't care if the toilet paper unrolls from the top or the bottom, just as long as it is consistently put on the same way.
- I still enjoy reading children's fantasy novels.
- Retirement in Florida is for boring conformists. I want to move to a space colony when I'm about, say, 200 years old.
I'm tagging Attila the Mom.