Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Saturday, June 09, 2007

On Vacation

When I started to write this post, I got the word "befrazzlement" stuck in my head. I know it's not a real word. It's just something that my subconscious mind, while trying to verbalize why I need a vacation, constructed when it couldn't come up with anything suitably full of good solid Anglo-Saxon fricatives.

Maria von Trapp (the real-life Maria on whose life "The Sound of Music" was based) wrote that when she first came to America and knew very little English, she mistakenly thought that the German word "bekommen," which means "get," was the same as a similar-sounding English word. When she went to do her grocery shopping, other people gave her some very strange looks when she said that she wanted to become cauliflower.

I haven't had any mishaps as embarrassing as that lately, but I have been feeling as if I'm mentally juggling too much. Not long ago, I got discombobulated by a tiny, unimportant, completely irrelevant change in my work. Some computer files got renamed by The Powers That Be and consequently ended up in a different place in an alphabetically indexed list, which shouldn't have been a big deal, but I had a very hard time concentrating for the next few days. I haven't taken any vacation time since the Christmas holidays, and I really need a break.

If I had Bev's skill with graphics, I would illustrate this post with a befrazzled cauliflower in front of a computer vociferously voicing fricatives. Alas, that's not one of my talents, so you'll just have to imagine what it would look like.

Starting now, I'm on vacation from work, blogging, and pointless cultural expectations. I'll go barefoot, eat chocolate-dipped ice cream cones and gummy bears, and lie down in the grass and admire the dandelions. Possibly all at the same time. I won't carry a purse or any other artifacts of being a proper responsible adult. The weeds in my garden can have a reprieve from execution. I'll talk to myself and sing goofy songs if I feel like it. I'll lean my head back over the edge of the couch and contemplate what it would be like to walk around upside-down on the ceiling. As for that annoying item of modern technology that rings when other people feel like chattering—it can go away and play with its friend, the alarm clock, in the land of disconnection.

I'll be back to posting in a couple of weeks. Don't get in too much trouble while I'm gone, y'all.

Labels:

15 Comments:

  • "Befrazzelment" is not a word? Who would've known?

    Enjoy the down time.

    By Blogger Club 166, at 8:51 PM  

  • Works for me, didn't even need a translation.
    Cheers

    By Blogger Maddy, at 9:22 PM  

  • p.s. I was thinking about those disgusting gummy bears! I know how all you Americans like to leap up and down a lot [working out?] but if you fancy a little light exercise [finger grip and finger isolation] you could buy one of those nifty pairs of plastic tweezers to pick up your candy's - on contact by the two points, the gummy bear lights up! Not a lot of grown up people know that.
    Have fun.

    By Blogger Maddy, at 9:37 PM  

  • What's a purse?

    By Blogger Bev, at 10:30 PM  

  • Charlie prefers Swedish fish (especially the big-sized pack). Happy vacation!

    By Blogger kristina, at 11:11 PM  

  • Translation: ferklempt.

    By Blogger Anne, at 11:19 PM  

  • Gummis are the candy du jour here. Apparently, they are very good for resolving oral sensory issues and providing propioceptive input in the mouth. They have been "prescribed" to both of my guys by their OTs and SLPs, since the school is still very against gum.

    By Blogger Joeymom, at 12:31 AM  

  • Befrazzelment? My Junior has been saying
    "Coochie on a Konckie?" repeatedly lately...no reason...just blerts it out. A made up phrase. He likes it and grins when he says it.

    Gummies-fruite wrinkles-roll ups-yogos-Gushers--fruite by the foot--fruite streamers....

    These are all nessecary to servival at my house.

    By the way...I use to think about walking on the ceiling...my Noddy does too.

    By Blogger A Bishops Wife, at 9:21 AM  

  • Befrazzelement - crazy word indeed. I googled for it and you would be surprised how much it it used :-)

    By Blogger Philip., at 5:34 PM  

  • Enjoy your vacation.

    By Blogger Maggie Rosethorn, at 6:51 AM  

  • Hope you have a great time! You deserve the break!

    By Blogger Attila the Mom, at 11:13 AM  

  • Mourning becomes Elektra and 'er don't bin fazed by the fanglin and and a manglin on them mighty words now.

    Gummi Bears be damned, I'd challenge the buggers to a rubber of bowls any day.

    Gemeinschaft is sommat yer might fall down on yer way past the Stiperstones, partickly when yer bin round widdershins.

    By Blogger Larry Arnold PhD FRSA, at 7:15 PM  

  • Sounds good to me. Even though I'm not usually one being an adult is tiresome. I think I'll go turn somersaults in the backyard.

    I think the root of my depression might just me being very very tired of this being an adult thing.

    By Blogger unashamed, at 2:32 PM  

  • I know your on vaction....and I hope you are enjoying your self....but I miss your posts!

    By Blogger A Bishops Wife, at 9:56 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E., at 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home