Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Friday, September 21, 2007

Randomness and a meme

Ack.

I had an unexpected errand this morning, in a car that I don't often drive, and when I got to the place I discovered that it wouldn't be open for another half-hour.

So, while sitting in the car feeling somewhat discombobulated, with nothing to do but watch some geese munching on a lawn across the street, I decided that I might as well use the time to work on a blog post. After all (looking on the bright side), I had the perfect excuse for blogging when I ought to be working.

But the trouble was, I couldn't think of anything profound to write. I went through my mental inventory of interesting topics that I might want to say something about, but I didn't feel particularly inspired to blog about any of them. Apparently, being out of my routine put me in a less than creative mood.

Then I started wondering how other people go about writing their blog posts. I compose mine kind of randomly. Sometimes I'll jot down notes when I think of an interesting topic and then write about it later, while other times I'll start writing when I feel inspired (or, in the case of rants, when I see something that makes me feel annoyed). I don't have a regular schedule for writing blog posts.

Because I'm curious as to whether anybody else has more interesting blogging habits than mine, I've put together a new meme for those who may be interested:

1. Is there a regular time of day when you compose your posts?


2. Do you prefer to write a certain number of posts per week (or per month)?

3. Are you more likely to write a post when you're happy about the topic, or do you mainly blog when you feel like ranting?

4. Do you write from notes or an outline, or are your posts mostly spontaneous?

5. Do you try to maintain a central theme for your blog and avoid random topics that don't fit the theme?

6. Are there any interesting rituals associated with your blogging?

You can either write your answers here or, if you prefer, write a post on your own site.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I think of an event and then write what's in my head about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 PM  

  • 1) No. I write whenever the muse hits me and I'm not asleep.

    2) I write however much I feel like. That could be 4+ times a day or once or twice a week or maybe even once or twice a month (but I'm quite verbose).

    3) Neither. I just have to be inspired - fascinated by the subject, and wanting to talk about it and risk feedback on it. Happiness and anger are not necessary.

    4) They're pretty much always spontaneous. Though I may edit/tweak them after the initial writing, usually if there's something I feel I left out and want to put back in. I may also decide that I don't want to post something after all, and so abandon something halfway written.

    5) For my Blogger account, yes. But I have another blog that has no themes.

    6) No. (We NTs are boring. ;) )

    By Blogger reform_normal, at 7:42 PM  

  • Life usually throws something up.

    By Blogger Casdok, at 6:59 AM  

  • I forgot to post the link at the time, but I replied to your meme:
    http://abnormaldiversity.blogspot.com/2007/09/blogging-meme.html
    I'm happy because my lost laptop was returned today!

    By Blogger Ettina, at 7:17 PM  

  • 1. Is there a regular time of day when you compose your posts?

    No.

    2. Do you prefer to write a certain number of posts per week (or per month)?

    No.

    3. Are you more likely to write a post when you're happy about the topic, or do you mainly blog when you feel like ranting?

    Yes.

    4. Do you write from notes or an outline, or are your posts mostly spontaneous?

    Yes.

    5. Do you try to maintain a central theme for your blog and avoid random topics that don't fit the theme?

    No.

    6. Are there any interesting rituals associated with your blogging?

    Yes.

    By Blogger Lorraine, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home