Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Monday, July 10, 2006

Cure This

I noticed a couple of months ago that both Autism Diva and Kassiane posted photos of themselves as children, in response to curebies who did not believe they really were autistic. This goes to show just how extreme the prejudice has gotten: some curebies react with incredulity when they see a website built by an autistic person, despite the fact that there are millions of autistics worldwide who read, write, and use computers every day. (And hey, autistics invented the Internet, too.)

The closest historical parallel to the "you can't possibly be autistic" attitude can be found in the slaveowners of the American South, who passed laws making it illegal to teach slaves to read and write. Then they arrogantly insisted that essays written by black abolitionists had to be fraudulent because "everyone knew" that blacks were mentally incapable of reading and writing.

After reflection, I've decided to post my own pictorial commentary on bigoted attitudes like that. You can find it in the sidebar. And as you've probably guessed if you're a regular reader of my blog, it's not a collection of cute little baby pictures. Enjoy.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Nice! In anticipation of derriere-ogatory comments from John Best, here are some obvious slogans:

    "Putting the Ass back in Asperger"

    "The Bitch's Back"

    "ABFH won't turn the other cheek"

    "Don't turn your back on autism"

    "I got your CAN right here"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

  • I want that shirt. It's great.

    By Blogger Neurodivergent K, at 3:43 PM  

  • Anonymous: Thanks very much for your ass-tute suggestions!

    Joseph: I agree that Jim Sinclair's essay is well worth reading; it gives a broad historical perspective on attempts to discredit advocates for equality as unrepresentative of their group.

    Kassiane: It's not real. I just wore a plain t-shirt and typed in the text in Paint Shop Pro. But if anyone wants to print and sell shirts like that for the cause, feel free to go ahead and do it.

    By Blogger abfh, at 5:02 PM  

  • Ha! Loved it!

    By Blogger Attila the Mom, at 2:36 PM  

  • hey. I think I dropped a comment somewhere else here but I can't remember lol. I have a blog on here too,

    get on blogger and type "athenivan" (without the quotes) in the search section.

    my blog is called Letters from the Fortress, I only have one post up so far but many drafts are in the works....I like to read other autistic bloggers things here. I started my own after reading others, I feel common threads among those that I have read.

    Who is John Best? I'm a bit confused there.

    How can I link other blogs to my page, like have them on a list of blogs I subscribe to? I am new to this.

    AI

    By Blogger Ivan, at 2:22 PM  

  • Athena, I haven't used LiveJournal and don't know how to put a list of blogs in a LJ sidebar. If any readers are familiar with it and can help Athena out, feel free to post the answer here.

    John Best is a troll who often posts insulting comments on neurodiversity blogs, usually under the name Fore Sam.

    By Blogger abfh, at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home