Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Friday, July 31, 2009

Rex Reed Spouts Disgusting Bigotry

For those who are fortunate enough never to have heard of the jerk, Rex Reed is a movie critic with a history of making ignorant and prejudiced remarks. His latest attack, in a review of the movie Adam in the New York Observer, is beyond the pale:


Asperger’s is an incurable neurological disorder similar to autism that turns outwardly normal-looking people into high-class idiot savants. I know at least two people with Asperger’s. They are incapable of thinking of anyone or anything outside of themselves...

…It is lethal to get involved romantically with any person with Asperger’s syndrome, since they care nothing about other people’s feelings, needs or priorities. Almost without exception, they leave you perplexed, riddled with doubt and totally depressed.

observer.com/2009/movies/hugh-dancy-his-way-superstardom

(as usual, I do not post active links to hate speech; you'll need to copy and paste into your browser)


Perhaps nothing better should have been expected from Reed, whose past history amply—and quite ironically—demonstrates how little he cares about others' feelings, etc., especially if those others happen to belong to a minority group. But the Observer certainly should have known better than to print such a revolting display of bigotry, in total disregard of every modern code of journalistic ethics.

Time to fire up those keyboards, folks, and write to
editorial@observer.com to let the Observer know what we think. As indicated on their website, letters should be addressed "To the Editor," must include the writer's address or telephone number, and should not exceed 250 words.

Edit, August 18: In response to pressure from ASAN, working with self-advocates and parent allies, FOX Searchlight has taken down its link to the Rex Reed review. Way to go! They really ought to go farther and condemn the review, but it's a start...

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • When I've finished my weekend commitments, this guy is going to get one of my famous sprays! And I'm not talking about email!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • I'm amazed to hear that Rex Reed is still around. What is he, 80?

    By Blogger Clay, at 7:38 PM  

  • What I wrote

    Dear Observer

    I am writing to respond to a article on your news site about Rex Reed's review on Adam. I have to say I am not to surprise at this hateful, ignorant review. This sort of thing you hear all the time from normative peers who think that having one or two friends on the spectrum makes you an expert. They cannot see pass their own normative, typical mindset, and try to understand the atypical mind of an autist.

    The irony of it all is that Reed goes on how we're we can't see pass our own needs and we're un-empathic people and that having relationship with us is “lethal” whilst he is being narrow-sided and lacks more empathy than we do.

    But that the usual for normatives like Reed. According to them, we're Asperger, thus not human. So they think they the right to spew hate-filled ignorance acting because they don't walk around with neurological disability twenty-four/seven and subjected to criticism and retorts by the rest of society because of it.

    Ablism and Neuro-typical privilege a hoy.

    I don't know were Reed get his information (though it's obvious he is spouting the nonsense by Maxine Aston from FAAAS) but it's obvious he is biased and misinformed. A person should review topics that they don't understand without person bias and at least to a little research before hand. It's obvious that he did neither. Also as a married autistic woman, my husband has not died from being married to me. We have martial problems like all couples that married young too, and my husband honestly has not grown up yet. Still he isn't “suffering” because of my “lack of empathy”.

    To concluded I am irritated and offended by this ignorant bigotry, but I am so use to this that I makes no difference whether I am offended or not. People like him seem to never change, and that to me is more disappointing than the ignorance.

    Bard Child.

    By Blogger Bard, at 11:11 PM  

  • I'm kind of nervous about this. I
    mean, I definitely want to give that bigot a piece of my mind, but I'm not sure about revealing my address or phone number.

    By Anonymous Sadderbutwisergirl, at 12:33 AM  

  • I think we should all send him a box of prunes. He needs them badly.

    By Blogger Clay, at 1:46 AM  

  • I tend to cut ignorant oldies a bit of slack, because they probably never had much of an education, and they wont be with us much longer anyway. Who listens to silly old buggers anyway? Just other silly old buggers.

    By Blogger Lili Marlene, at 11:10 AM  

  • Oh he's just attention seeking. And yes, in my case he's completely right that a lot of the time I do just think of myself (or my children since I gave birth to them). But as soon as someone tells me they are upset, need help, want to talk about something, I'll go and help, talk to them etc. Something that maybe Mr Reed needs to learn himself.

    By Anonymous bullet, at 12:48 PM  

  • Sounds like somebody got dumped twice.

    By Anonymous evonne, at 12:14 PM  

  • I have not come across this critic before, however, I've read the article, thanks for the address.

    Sadly, I'm not an expert on ethics, barely an amateur to tell the truth.

    I don't think I've ever come across that 'definition' of Asperger's.

    If that wasn't enough then this bit was quite heart stopping:-

    'His [the character Adam's] alarmingly empty life is so devoid of passion that he can go to a funeral and feel nothing.'

    I wonder if that's Mr. Reed's interpretation?

    However, since I've not seen the film I can only guess.

    Lastly, his 'I know at least two people.......' I suspect Mr.Reed knows very little and understand even less.
    Cheers

    By Anonymous Maddy, at 9:26 PM  

  • Rex Reed wears tons of eyeliner. And he's very, very old.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • Remember....what others say speaks worlds about them....and how we react to their words speaks worlds about us...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home