Whose Planet Is It Anyway?

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our Community Remembers

The recent death of Alyric, who was an impassioned blogger and a strong voice for justice, was a great loss to the autistic community. I first encountered Alyric's writings on autistic civil rights and feminism in 2005, when I came across her blog A Touch of Alyricism. (Her family members have kindly allowed the blog to remain online as a resource for the community.) I thought it was a lovely and original name for a blog, and so well matched to the creative and insightful nature of its author.

Over the years, Alyric posted many thoughtful, in-depth essays addressing matters of importance to the autistic community. She wrote about junk science and the marketing of bogus cures, the ABA controversy, and the false and harmful 'autism epidemic' rhetoric. She is generally credited with having been the first to publicly post an exposé of the hate groups that arose from Maxine Aston's promotion of the fictitious Cassandra Disorder. Her writings were always well researched and often included many references. She will be greatly missed.

Here are several links to other memorial blog entries:

In Memory of Alyric
In Memoriam
RIP Alyric
Alyric

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • ABFH

    Even though I hardly knew her, I had tears in my eyes for her. She seemed like a great human being.

    I don't understand why I would have tears in my eyes for someone I hardly met and spoke to even online. I don't understand my own emotions sometimes.

    By Blogger A better future for all, at 12:27 AM  

  • "Even though I hardly knew her, I had tears in my eyes for her. She seemed like a great human being."

    Know what you mean, Cube. My reaction was one of stunned bewilderment... what to you she seemed to be, to those of us who knew her longer... she was. Trust me. She took no shit off any bugger. And she was committed to saying what was on her mind... it pissed a few people off, but these were people who needed that, I think. Just to get an idea of how we were feeling about their antics, as well as some information to counter their silly ideas.

    "I don't understand why I would have tears in my eyes for someone I hardly met and spoke to even online. I don't understand my own emotions sometimes."

    Sometimes people's lives affect one strongly, even when one isn't initially aware of it, Cube.

    By Blogger David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E., at 3:08 AM  

  • Wow.
    *cries*
    She was such a good woman.

    By Anonymous sanabituranima, at 1:57 PM  

  • Alyric's writing was also one of the reasons I stopped to think about mutual respect. Glad to hear that the blog will stay up.

    Patrick

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:05 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Barbara, at 10:57 AM  

  • I'm very sorry to hear of her death.

    We go back a long way and I had the highest respect for her.

    By Blogger Barbara, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home